ccooke’s infamous three ginger soup follows
Rescued from lucien 2
CC has more recipies
A pleasant soup for a cold winters morning, often best served as a
beverage warmed in the microwave. The recipe was persueded out of the
chef at a restaurant in the South of France by my Godparents while they
were on holiday one year, and I got the recipe from them after they
cooked it for me one birthday.
There are two variants in this book, the one I cook at the moment, which
will probably change somewhat over time, and the one which is a faithful
copy of the recipe used in the original restaurant.
Here’s the recipe as I cook it now:
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 6 heaped teaspoons of finely chopped root ginger
- (we’re talking quite a lot here)
- 3 balls of stem ginger, chopped
- Powdered ginger (a fair bit)
- 1 twig of thyme, fresh and shredded for preference
- or 1 teaspoon otherwise
- A mound of fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 teaspoon)
- A mound of fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon)
- A mound of fresh chives, chopped (or 2 teaspoons)
- 1 litre of pure orange juice
- 1 litre of pure tomato juice
- Olive oil (for preferene)
- Sweat the onions with a third of the root ginger for a few minutes.
- Add the carrots and sweat for a further couple of minutes.
- Pour in the orange juice, then the tomato juice, and finally add
another third of the root ginger and 2 teaspoons of powdered ginger.
- Bring the heat up and begin to simmer.
- Add the herbs, and then simmer for 40 minutes.
- Throw in the last of the root ginger, the whole of the stem ginger,
- Add another 2-4 teaspooons of ginger powder to taste, season, and
serve with moist fresh bread.
This is the recipe as I received it originally:
RESTAURANT LA CASCADE\
ON THE MIDI - LANGUEDOC\
“THREE GINGER SOUP”
- 1 ltr Fresh, unsweetened orange juice
- 1 ltr Fresh tomatoe juice
- 150 gr Onions (peeled, chopped)
- 2 TABLESPN Olive oil
- 1 teaspn dried ginger powder
- 3 teaspn finely grated fresh ginger (root)
- 1 teaspn chopped parsley
- 1 teaspn salt
- 1 twig thyme
- Bay Leaf
- Large Carrot (peeled, chopped)
- fry onions, do not brown
- Mix all together and simmer for forty minutes
- Liquidise, add 3 teaspoons of finely chopped preserved ginger
- Reheat, check seasoning, and serve